Frenchie Mummy kindly nominated me to complete the Mummy Tag Challenge (because I commented on her tag and whined that I wanted a go, like my two year old son!). I think it’s a really good way to get to know a blogger and I’ve not done anything like it before so here we go….
- Are you a Stay at Home Mum or a Working Mum? I’m a working mum. I work three days (Monday, Tuesday and Friday – which is why my Twitter is usually quiet on those days) as a Drama teacher in a secondary school. I love my job and worked hard for it however it is challenging juggling the extra work with a toddler and a husband that works long hours.
- Would you have it any other way? I’m not going to lie, in an ideal world I would be a stay at home mum and do voluntary work in the local primary school, reading with the kids and doing drama workshops, but financially this isn’t feasible at the moment. I love teaching, and I know I would miss it, but the extra work I have to do at home makes the job less enjoyable.
- Do you co-sleep? No. I’m a firm believer that you do what you need to survive as a mum however, for me to survive it meant having my son in his own bed. He even went into his own room at ten weeks old because I found that I was waking every time he moved. He’s probably slept in our room twice, when he’s been poorly. He comes and gets in bed with us on a morning for a cuddle before we get up and even that is painful….literally as he sits on our heads and kicks us.
- What is your one must-have item for your baby? When Mini R was little, my FIL bought us a Poddle Pod at my request. (See picture to the left) It was magic! Mini R did not like to be put down and because of it’s shape, he felt like he was being held even when he wasn’t. As it was hot when he was born, he got sweaty laying in my arms but, with a thin sheet on, it was a lot more cooling for him. I’ve since lent it to other mums who’ve also found it very helpful!
- How many kids do you plan on having? Pre Mini R I always said I’d only have one child, however as soon as I got pregnant that idea went out the window because I didn’t like the idea of it being the only time I was pregnant. Now Mini R is two, we are thinking about having another. I can see myself with two boys however I’d love a little girl and if the second was a boy, I’d be tempted to try for a third and a girl…but that’s if I can persuade my other half! 🙂
- Date nights? How often do you have them? Sadly not, not as much as we should! My husband works long hours as a restaurant manager and only has Sunday’s and Monday’s off, and I work Monday. It doesn’t leave us with much opportunity within our busy lives. To the right is a picture of us on a weekend away for his birthday in March, which was probably the last time we had any child free time.
- Your child’s favourite show? Mini R would watch The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo’s Child and Room on the Broom over and over if we let him. I’m hoping this comes in handy for the 26 hours of travelling to Australia at the end of July.
- Name one thing you bought before you had the baby and never ended up using? A plug in steriliser. I breastfed mostly, with some expressing and the odd bottle of formula. We didn’t use bottles enough to need anything other than a microwave one and it didn’t take up too much kitchen worktop space because we kept it in the microwave.
- Your child’s favourite food? Our child is obsessed with Sausages. Sausages in pasta, sausages with chips, sausage rolls…he loves them. oh, and hash browns! His favourite meal is a Frankie and Benny’s or Chiquito’s breakfast.
- How many cars does your family have? Two. A VW golf is our main one and the one i drive. My husband has a Volvo s40 for getting him to work and back. I’m a car snob as I love VW and won’t drive have anything else. When Mini R was born I had a gorgeous white VW Beetle Sport but, as he got bigger, it was breaking my back getting him in and out of the car so I had to trade in for the more sensible Golf. I’ve told my husband I will have a Beetle again when the kids are older.
- Weight gain, before pregnancy, during, after and now? Hmmm, my weight is an ongoing battle for me. I’m not sure how much I gained during pregnancy as I didn’t weigh myself. I know that straight after having Mini R i had about half a stone on what I was before. I didn’t gain that much because I didn’t have much of an appetite. In the first sixth months of being a Mum I gained a lot of weight because all i did was grab food as and when I could, and I ate a lot of cake with my other mum friends! Since then I have lost two stone, then put a stone back on. I’m starting a new weight loss plan before I go to Australia because I need a quick fix before then.
- Dream holiday with your kids? Florida – Disney and Harry Potter studios. Two of my big loves. When we’ve had another and their both old enough to understand and appreciate it, we’ll definitely take them. Mainly so I can meet Ariel and pretend to be a princess.
- Dream holiday without your kids? Somewhere relaxing, hot and quiet where I can sit on a sun bed, read millions of books, drink cocktails, get dressed up on an evening (without sick/snot down me) and eat nice food with my hubby.
- How has your life changed since having kids? It’s a lot busier. I’m pretty much always on the go. Sadly, me and my husband are like ships passing in the night. I’m used to having less sleep and I actually can get loads done in a day now I’m up earlier! I’m a lot tougher…I deal with illness and hangovers better because I have no other choice! To be honest, I could write a long list because everything is different. You’re life never gets back on track, it takes another road completely but it’s an awesome road.
- Finish the sentence “It makes my heart melt when…” Mini R grabs my face with both hands and gives me a big kiss.
- Where do you shop for your kids? Most of Mini R’s clothes are from Sainsbury’s (because Janma shops there and can’t help but spoil him). I buy from George at Asda, H & M and occasionally next.
- Favourite make-up and skincare products? I love my Urban Decay palettes and UD Brow Box and eye liner. I use Simple make up remover, cleanser and toner. I’m lucky I have fairly good skin so as long as I take my make up off on a night, it’s usually spot free…apart from the odd beast that appears a couple of times a year and takes forever to go!
- Huggies or Pampers? I use Pampers on a night and Aldi during the day.
- Have you always wanted kids? Yes. But I didn’t bank on it being as hard as it is!
- Best part of being a mum? The overwhelming feeling of love and pride when they learn something new or behave well in public situations. Feeling lucky to have my son and see him grow up into a clever and funny little boy.
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning a little more about Educating Roversi! It was actually quite fun to write!
Stacey from Teaching Mum
Gemma from Colley’s Wobbles
Dawn from Rhyming with Wine
Plus anyone else who fancies doing it, send me a tweet and I’ll nominate you! I’m not sure who has been tagged in this and who hasn’t so feel free to ignore my nomination!