To the Elderly Lady in the Shopping Centre…

To the Elderly Lady in the

I saw you approach the queue for the parking ticket machine, your husband(?) pushing you in your wheelchair. You didn’t think I saw because I was too busy checking my shopping list and dealing with my toddler who was swinging from his reins.

Parking-Sign-K-7197

The thing is, the queue was bending because the door to Sainsbury’s was in the way and you didn’t see this…or if you did, you chose to ignore it. So obviously, as the queue moved forward and you tried to push in front of me I said something. You could see I was struggling with a buggy laden with shopping, a toddler on his reins and trying to find my ticket in my bag yet you were insistent you’d been there first and chose to argue with me about this. You hadn’t, but if you had, would two minutes have made any difference given what I was dealing with?

NO QUEUE JUMPING!

Despite all this, I can be empathetic and see that, if you genuinely did think you were their first, you might have thought I was pushing in…but I wasn’t. However you then exclaim “I’m not going to argue with ignorant people.” to which I bit my tongue because I’m dealing with a crying toddler who has tried to get in the buggy and fallen over his reins and his own feet (that child would fall over thin air!). Again, you can see I’m not having the easiest time but you repeat yourself, “I’m not going to argue with ignorant people.”, only louder so I assume you want a reaction, which you got, as I calmly, if not a little loudly, said “And I’m not going to argue when I’ve got an upset toddler.” (I’ve since thought of hundreds of other things I could have said, naturally!)

What bothers me the most is that word “ignorant”, my friends and family may call me many things but ignorant isn’t one of them.

The definition of ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

Well, firstly, with a degree and a career in teaching I’m definitely not uneducated but some may argue about my levels of sophistication. What I would say is that, YOU were the one_CCFnLe_B2k___KGrHqV__g0E0eoM_HssBNKB25BZ_____1 who showed ignorance. YOU showed a lack of awareness of the situation I was in and how hard it can be to go shopping with a toddler aged 23 months old. A toddler whom is getting near to teatime therefore hungry and fed up of shopping. YOU showed a lack of awareness that I only have two hands and yet pushing a buggy, holding a toddler and finding your parking ticket take three. YOU showed ignorance, not me. Are you a mother and, most probably, a grandmother? I’m sure if YOU’D have empathised with me, you would have been less ignorant and remembered yourself in similar situations, 40 or 50 years ago.

The end result was still the same, we both paid our parking, incidentally at the same time because two machines became free together. So, on reflection, would it have been so bad to have had a little patience with me and my son? Couldn’t you have shown some kindness and consideration towards me? Would that have been too much to ask? I guess I expect better of someone who is so old experienced in life. (Sorry, couldn’t help the little dig at the end! Tee hee!)

thumbnailsize

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

About Educating Roversi

30 something wife and Mum to one. Blogging about parenthood, home, days out and anything else that takes my fancy!
This entry was posted in All Posts, Motherhood, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to To the Elderly Lady in the Shopping Centre…

1. yeah a little more courtesy would go a long way in the world. Thank you for the compliment about my writing, and for commenting. xx

2. Nightmare! I really wish people would be more courteous in general! Sometimes you get the lovely ones who will give you a hand if they see you struggling but obvyou didn’t today unfortunately! I really like the easy way this is written and I could imagine it while I was reading it. #KCACOLS

3. bread says:

Fuck her. Some people think they own the world. I would’ve told her to get lost and notice how ignorant she was being. #kcacols

4. Tracey @ One Frazzled Mum says:

I’m not sure I would have been as nice I have a low tolerance for this and find it really hard to bite my tongue. #kcacols

Liked by 1 person

5. Some people just think they have the right above everyone else. Good for you for staying so calm, I would have cried it got angry haha. Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx

6. Jane Taylor says:

I’m glad that despite everything, you remained calm and didn’t stoop to her level (ermm. Literally as well as verbally) #KCACOLS

7. arthurwears says:

So infuriating. I understand your frustration! I hate it when people judge and make a personal comment such as ‘ignorant’ – a stranger calling another person is the epitome of ignorance, you know nothing about this person you are judging, you are totally ignorant to their education, background and personal situation. I do believe that people highlight in others what they actually dislike in themselves. Good on you for saying something. #KCACOLS

8. beccaweatherall says:

Good for you for remaining so calm. It is so difficult that time of day. And Mummies are tired as well as toddlers. It is bizarre the lack of empathy some people show. It’s always good to have a rant to feel better! 🙂 #KCACOLS

9. yummyblogger says:

You handled it very well… I can totally imagine being you with a toddler in tow and all the chaos that brings! The mis-use of the word ‘ignorant’ would have wound me up too lol!! #KCACOLS

10. yummyblogger says:

You handled it very well… I can totally imagine being you with a toddler in tow and all the chaos that brings! The mis-use of the word ‘ignorant’ would have wound me up too lol!! #KCACOLD

11. You did well to keep so calm, some people forget too easily! Good on your for not arguing being the bigger person.

#KCACOLS

Liked by 1 person

12. Isn’t it so interesting how people are so quick to hand their seat over to a pregnant woman? Who, no questions asked, hold the door for a pregnant lady? Yet, when that same woman is balancing her newborn, a carseat, diaper bag, and 3 bags of groceries, someone lets the door slam in your face. When that same mom now has a screaming baby in her arms, while dragging along a tantruming toddler and no one bats an eye. I always found that interesting…
    I’m so sorry that woman insisted that she had to be right, despite your obvious struggle, as she sat in her wheelchair…
    I definitely wouldn’t have been as patient as you ❤ #KCACOLS

13. RachelSwirl says:

Oh some people really grind my gears, I think you dealt with the situation very well x

Liked by 1 person

14. There is never any need to be rude, disabled, abled, young, old, with children, without – everyone is still human and deserves some common courtesy and understanding. Sorry you went through it and I hope you got the toddler home for tea on time! #KCACOLS

Liked by 1 person

15. I’d be so like you thinking of umpteen ‘better’ responses later, although I think you did very well. Well done on staying dignified, some people just think they can do as they like, it drives me mad. Oh and I’m busy uttering ‘silly old lady’ comments to the lady in question under my breath… 🙂 #kcacols

16. Mrs Tubbs says:

Oh dear :(. Some people just don’t know how to treat others. Good for you for not being rude right back

17. Ali Duke says:

I think older people assume that they should get respect and be able do to as they please. These things do not come with age, they are earned.
    #KCACOLS

Liked by 1 person

18. Some people are so rude! I’m agreeing with the above comments that it does tend to be older people who are the worst, that’s definitely been the case in my experience. Very annoying!!
    S xx
    #KCACOLS

19. azarialynch says:

I can see how much this would have been frustrating and it is just so blooming rude! I definitely cannot tolerate it when people are rude like this and like you would have though of so many things to say once I had walked away.

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

Azaria- Being Mrs Lynch

20. Azaria Lynch says:

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

Azaria- Being Mrs Lynch

Liked by 1 person

21. oh it is so unfair to be judged and so hard to handle – I’m not sure what I would have done but, like you, I would have thought of 100 responses when I got home and the fact that you both ended up paying for the parking at the same time just makes this whole encounter so worthless and pointless. Empathy all the way my lovely #KCACOLS

Liked by 1 person

22. Oh goodness this brings back memories of being heavily pregnant with an 18 month old having a tantrum and some old bint trying to push in front of me at the supermarket with a full basket of shopping. Now I have no qualms in letting someone elderly or disabled push in front if their need is greater, fine. But she wasn’t *that* old, and she was just pushing her luck. Fantastically, the guy on the check out told her that she must have missed the queue. Red faced she shuffled behind me. What a legend. #KCACOLS

23. nsalama1 says:

What an upsetting experience. Some people just show such little concern for others. Good for you for keeping cool I’m not sure if I would have been able to. #KCACOLS

Nicole | The Professional Mom Project

24. Coombe Mill says:

What an infuriating experience, I know just the kind of person you mean, so inconsiderate. #KCACOLS

25. laughing mum says:

some old people can be the worse! My daughter held the door open for an elderly lady who walked through like she was owed something and didn’t even say thank you! fortunately the preteen has picked up some of my driving mannerisms and simply replied “your welcome” to the non existent “thank you” and the lady just rolled he eyes! so rude! Ive been preaching to my kids about manners since they were little (and I’m fairly sure this lady would have done the same with her kids) but how can I expect my kids to show manners to others when others don’t show it too them.. urgh! It riles me! told the kids always better to be the better person, but its outrageous sometimes! #kcacols

Liked by 1 person

• Ha ha I do that “YOU’RE WELCOME!” Nothing like a passive aggressive response! 🙂 Well done yo your daughter! Manners are very important. Mini R is already doing me proud with his please and thank you. Thanks for commenting. x

26. mumzilla says:

I think some old people just can’t be bothered with nicities. I probably would have told her to eff off! 😉 #KCACOLS

Liked by 1 person

Let me know what you think and leave a reply!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s