The Elusive Virus

My whatsapp beeps and it’s the NCT Group chat “Bright red rash and a miserable boy. Off to the doctors we go.” One of the little people is poorly. This isn’t unusual, at any one time through the winter it seems like at least one of the little mites has something that’s making them under the weather. However, what it always seems to boil down to is The Virus.

• Temperature
  • Rash
  • Subdued child
  • Snot
  • Runny eyes
  • Red cheeks
  • *insert your own symptom here*

Any of the above seem to boil down to the same thing. “It’s viral” says the doctor, as the mum cuddles her poorly babe.

Blue-Stethoscope

And your heart sinks, because “it’s viral” means jack sh*t. Yes, thank goodness it usually means it’s nothing serious, but it also means that there isn’t much we can do but resort to the Calpol and Ibuprofen gods and ride it out.

What annoys me most about the old “virus” is that you never know whether you’re contagious. Me and Mini R aren’t very good at staying in, we like to get out and be sociable so staying in, well or unwell, isn’t ideal for us. Unfortunately it’s the only thing you can do because the guilt, if you passed said lergie onto another persons child, is too much to comprehend!

7026880-Stop-virus-green-virus-in-red-alert-sign-Stop-virus-warning-sign-illustration-of-germ-in-red-alert-c-Stock-Vector

If only virus’ looked this cute

In the first year of Mini R’s life it felt like every other week he was poorly, or teething (which is also the work of the devil). We had a period of about 6 weeks where we were at the doctors several times. I’m not a worrier and I don’t ring the doctors for every little thing that happens to my son, however his temperature kept spiking and that always unsettles me. One evening, about 8pm, when we were at the out of hours doctors for a third time with a tired, upset little guy, I asked the doctor if it was normal for a baby to have this many virus’. His reply was that a baby could have up to 24 virus’ within the first year! 24 SODDING VIRUS’!!!! WITHIN 12 MONTHS! I’m rubbish at maths but even I know that’s ridiculous!

Luckily (and I’ll probably regret writing this), we’ve been “virus” free for the last few months, suffering with no more than a cold (which is a type of virus you know? Ha ha!). I’m waiting. All Mini R’s mates have had things over the last few months so it’s bound to it us at some point!

It’s like no one quite knows what a “virus” is. It covers a range of symptoms and there is no cure other than cuddles, a sofa and plenty of Calpol/Ibuprofen because, in all honesty, you’ll be that knackered from the unsettled nights that you won’t be able to do much else anyway.

Have you been imprisoned with your little one by the “virus”? How did you cope? Can you relate to this post? Tell me your virus tales! Comment or find me on Facebook and Twitter.

Mudpie Fridays
Mummuddlingthrough
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

About Educating Roversi

30 something wife and Mum to one. Blogging about parenthood, home, days out and anything else that takes my fancy!
This entry was posted in All Posts, Motherhood, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Elusive Virus

1. OMG!! Tell me about it!! I literally hate “the virus”. He is really knocking our door very often lately!! Since Sienna started nursery she is bringing all the bugs to the house so we all end up ill. This is another thing. When you have more than one child when one gets ill the other one(s) will too so your sleepless nights are duplicated or even more if you have more than 2 kids. It is just so tiring. My girls were better from half week last week until yesterday that Sienna developed a nasty cough now she is so unhappy and I’m worried my other daughter will get it too and probably my hubby and I, grrr this just never ends!! Great post!! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. I would love to see you again on Sunday! 🙂 x

2. Becky, Cuddle Fairy says:

Oh it can be so bad when they are sick!! We have had a bad run of flus this year! I hope your house stays healthy now. Thanks so much for linking up with us at #bloggerclubuk

3. tammymum says:

Yep! I’m with you I don’t take them unless I think there is something really wrong, so to speak and more often than not its that damned virus. Like you say means sod all other than they’re just a little poorly. Your last paragraph summed it up perfectly. #KCACOLS xx

4. mumzilla says:

Ah, the dreaded lurgy! Mine would be pootling around quite happily licking things and then plonk – all over me like a rash (pun intended) with a burning temperature and usually a few spots just to freak me out. Was always “just a virus”…!!
    #KCACOLS

5. Emma Jones says:

Yep it’s nearly always viral. As my children got older I actually stopped going to the doctets. If it went on more than 48-72 hours I would go but be told a virus anyway but it would cease my guilt. Calpol seems to always be the answer.

6. Silly Mummy says:

Haha – yes, before kids I didn’t even now ‘non-specific’ viruses existed, let alone ‘non-specific viral rashes’! I kind of assumed if you had a virus, something was known about it, even if only that it was one of the millions of cold viruses, flu viruses or stomach viruses. But not just the ‘that’s probably a virus, but who knows what’ type of thing! #coolmumclub

Liked by 1 person

7. Urgh, the dreaded “its a virus” – brilliant. I knew that already! I guess I should be pleased that it is just a regular virus and all that is needed is The Snowman on repeat (wtf, its spring) and some ice cream x

Liked by 1 person

8. Over the past 4 years we have had some pretty epic viral situations! Loads of calls to 111, even a midnight trip to St Thomas’ with suspected Appedicitis that turned out to be (you guessed it) a virus.
    These tiny invaders have a lot to answer to.
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub…

9. Mrs Tubbs says:

I keep telling myself that this too will pass. Being stuck in the house with someone with lurgy is no fun! Hope your’e all better soon

Liked by 1 person

10. Ugh the dreaded lurgy! I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve taken my kids to see a GP (and I have two of them, both under 4), as I agree with you – everything is just a “virus” and needs calpol and cuddles. *touches wood* I thought we had already got through every virus known to man, but then my eldest started nursery and unleashed a whole new load. Joy!

Hope you’re all virus free soon for the spring xx
    #coolmumclub

Liked by 1 person

11. I hate being told it’s viral. Once we were on holiday and Oldest was rushed to hospital by the Dr because she was covered in a rash and had a temp. She was put on the ward but in the end we were just told it was viral and after a day spent worrying we were sent home. I am sure they just say viral when it really means “I really don’t have a clue”. #coolmumclub

12. ourrachblogs06 says:

My heart ALWAYS sinks when I’m told it’s viral. I’ve heard the word viral more than any other word over the last 5 months I swear. In terms of coping techniques, plenty of R&R (for parent and child), CBeebies, cuddly toys, books and the iPad. #coolmumclub

Liked by 1 person

Let me know what you think and leave a reply!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s