As of Friday, myself, the husband and Mini R will be travelling to Australia at the end of July for two and a half weeks. Currently I can’t decide whether to be excited or terrified.
Firstly, why are we going? Well my childhood friend KW moved out there a fair few years ago and I’ve always promised I’d go visit her. After having Mini R it got to a point where I felt like if we didn’t go this year then we’d never go, as we wanted more children, so we’ve bit the bullet (so to speak) and booked it. The other bonus is that my brother, SIL and nephew and niece live in New Zealand so I’m hoping he’ll make a short trip to Oz to see us.Why am I excited and terrified? Obviously I’m excited because I will be going on holiday, I will see my friend, her hubby and kids, I will see family and I will get to experience another country. I’m terrified because I’m taking a TODDLER to THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD! Not only that, it’s going to be Mini R’s FIRST EVER flight. Don’t do things by halves, do we?!
Currently, my main worries lie with the flights because being there will be fine. I know I’m just going to have to “go with the flow” but I’m a planner so therefore not very good and being “flow-y”.
Thoughts crossing my mind:
- What if Mini R is scared of flying and cries consistently?
- What if it mucks up his great bedtime/naptime routine?
- How do I keep a 2 year old (which he will be when we go) occupied for such a long time in a confined place like a plane?
- What if I can’t sleep and I get grumpy?
- What if my toddler can’t sleep, because he’s not in his lovely bedroom with blackout blinds, and he’s a pain in the arse because he’s tired which causes everyone on the plane to hate us?
- Will I get my buggy back in-between flights?
- What if me and the hubby get grumpy with each other because we’re tired? (My husband isn’t great at staying awake when tired and I’m worried he’ll fall asleep and I’ll me left dealing with Mini R the whole time.)
- Is it worth getting a Trunki?
- What do I need to pack in hand luggage for such a long flight?
Honestly, the list is endless! I cannot wait to be there but the flights are already stressing me out and we’re not going for another five months! I’ve named this post #1 because I have a feeling there will be more!