A Day In The Life Of…

Tomorrow my little boy has his first trial at nursery in preparation for when I return to work in two weeks *sob* In light of this, I began thinking about what my daily life has been like for the last 11 months. 
Obviously, it’s not been the same since the small one was born. Life and routines have changed as my boy has grown up and learnt how to play, eat, sleep etc. One thing that has been a constant was that I HAD TO get out of the house every day, even if it was just for an hour or two to wander around the shops, or a little walk around the area I live. Staying in all day with the boy struck fear in me, and still does. He gets bored staying in all day and that produces a grouchy, can’t be satisfied baby so we go out, wherever we can, to keep my sanity. 
Our life differs to some as I don’t have the luxury that Daddy comes home at teatime and can help out with bath and bedtime. This was something that worried me when I was pregnant. What if I had a baby that cried all the time? Had colic? Wouldn’t sleep? Was sicky? All these things made me a little fearful of my impending motherhood but someone was obviously looking down and me and I was blessed with a fairly “easy” baby. (Those who have babies with all the things I mentioned – please don’t hate me. I know I’m lucky.) Although little Roversi has only just (two weeks ago) started sleeping through the night, he has had a decent bedtime from a few months old. I can’t remember exactly when it all began but even though he woke up regularly, he went down at the same time every night and I was guaranteed a few hours of quiet before the first of the night feeds meaning I could get some tea or have a tidy up and for that, I am grateful. 
Everyone told me when I was pregnant that I wouldn’t even have time to shower or put make up on once my baby was born and this worried me as I am definitely not the natural type. Although I don’t cake on the make up, I hate wearing my hair up and need a little make up to look half decent. Although the hubby wasn’t around at night to help, he doesn’t go to work until 9:30am so our daily routine has always begun with my throwing myself in the shower, dressing and sorting my hair and make up out before he left so I was ready for the world. Since having Mini Me I have managed to cut down the amount of time it takes me to get ready and I have also become more comfortable with wearing my hair up sometimes. I do think this also is because I have lost weight and my face is thinner so I don’t see myself as moonfaced as I did before. 
Me and my hubby both love our sleep which isn’t great when you have a baby as it’s the first thing to suffer. The baby doesn’t understand night and day at first and, as I was breast feeding, the nighttimes were mainly down to me. However, my hubby did do one feed with expressed milk, every night, right from the beginning – he’s a good ‘un! By the time we got to one feed the rule was that whoever did the night feed got a lie in. Now we just take it in turns to get a lie in while the other person gets up with the baby. 
Daily routine changed massively when proper food was introduced. In the beginning I was looking forward to weaning. Once I started it, I found it more stressful than breastfeeding! Worrying about how much they ate, what they ate and how they ate it. On top of that, another bag was added to the equation on top of the changing bag and baby and I only have two hands! I went from being able to discretely breastfeed wherever and whenever I liked to having to find somewhere to feed my hungry little dinosaur at certain times of the day. Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh! 
We’ve now settled into a lovely routine which works well. Waking at 6/7am the boy will have toast when he wakes followed by porridge and hour or so later. Morning nap will commence between 9am and 9:45am and last for an hour, sometimes an hour and a half if I’m lucky. In that time I get his bags ready for wherever we are going. Bags which have now advanced to three: changing bag, lunch bag and bag of toys to keep the little munchkin happy while we are out. Mothers should be given an extra arm when their babies are born. It’d be weird but sooooo helpful! He will have a snack when he wakes followed by lunch about 12:30. Afternoon nap (AN) time will totally depend on the morning nap (MN) – shorted AN if MN was longer. AM will commence approximately four hours after MN. An afternoon snack of a fruit pouch or frube is a must then teatime about 4:30/5pm. Bathtime starts about 6:15/6:30…sometimes a little later if he’s has a big AN. He is always in bed by 7:30pm at the latest. In between all this we try and get out of the house and see friends/family. 
My worry at the moment is getting into a new routine when I go back to work. I’m working four days a week with Fridays as my day off. On Mondays my husband is off work so thats Daddy/Son day and then Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday he will be at nursery. I so hope he enjoys it and settles in well. I try not to think about it too much as there isn’t much I can do about it. I have to work. I might be going down to three days in September which will be great as it’s one less day at nursery. Currently I do not know how I am going to work, plan my lessons and do all the work outside of school I need to do, keep the house clean and tidy, feed myself and spend time with my husband and son. I know it is possible and will happen. There isn’t much I can do apart from get on with it! For now, I will enjoy my last two weeks of maternity leave and look forward to the next time I get a whole 11.5 months off work…when I have baby number 2 in a few years 🙂

About Educating Roversi

30 something wife and Mum to two - L and S. Pyjama wearing blogger, drama teacher, face painter, disney lover, Robbie Williams obsessive and Stationery addict.
This entry was posted in All Posts, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

Let me know what you think and leave a reply!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s